How did our school achieve Lighthouse Status?
(From the Leader In Me website http://www.theleaderinme.org/how-do-schools-implement/)
Lighthouse recognition comes because of the results a school is achieving and the impact it is having on staff, students, parents and the greater community. It typically takes two to three years, but can be achieved sooner if schools make it a priority to achieve results sufficient to pass the Lighthouse review. The review evaluates the schools performance against nine criteria:
Newington Elementary School is very excited to receive this honor! A big thank you to our Dolphin Leaders including staff, students, and parents for all the suport you have given during this process.
- A Lighthouse team is in place at the school, meets regularly and oversees school-wide implementation of the leadership model with students, staff, parents and community members.
- The school campus environment reinforces the model by adding leadership language displays and bulletins to hallways and classrooms that emphasize individual worth and leadership principles.
- Teachers integrate leadership language into school curriculum and instruction daily.
- The staff collaborates and works together to effectively build a culture of leadership in classrooms and throughout the school.
- The students are provided with meaningful student leadership roles and responsibilities.
- The parents of students understand The Leader in Me model and the 7 Habits and are involved in activities that support the leadership model.
- A system is in place for setting and tracking school-wide, classroom, academic and personal goals.
- The school sees improvements resulting from implementing The Leader in Me process, which includes measuring, collecting baseline data and tracking results to determine how the leadership model is bringing improvements.
- The school holds events to share their leadership model with the community and other schools and hosts a mini or full Leadership Day or a similar event that includes parents, business partners and educators.